I’m a few days late for the official start, but I have joined into #The100DayProject and will be posting photos of my projects each day to Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/juliebneu/
The idea behind the project, which fits so perfectly with Creative Play, is to do a creative project every day for 100 days. I’ve been itching to do some improv piecing, to just sit down each day and do a little sewing without a plan, so that’s what I have decided to do for my project. Here’s the first one:
It’s not too late to join in!
The photo I showed when I first started the Summer of Scraps project only represented a portion of the scraps that I have. I also have a bin full of bits and pieces of batik fabrics:So, this week’s project, which was also a UFO on my list for the American Patchwork & Quilting UFO Challenge, was to create Block 8 from the In Full Bloom quilt pattern by McKenna Ryan using my bits and pieces:
I’m at the halfway point in my Summer of Scraps and I made a huge dent in the white scraps this week with this quilt top:
The colored “scraps” for this one came from a strip exchange I did with quilting friends a decade ago. We cut 2 1/2″ strips of some of our stash fabrics and shared them with the group so we all went home with a little bit of everyone’s stash. It’s such a wonderful way to remember those friends.
As promised, I went a little easier on myself this week and sewed up a quick project. Since I already had the rainbow scraps out and my daughter is in a serious rainbow phase at the moment, I made a flag banner for her playhouse. The inspiration for the project was the July 4th Bunting pattern on WeAllSew.com.
It was a lot easier to make the first week’s scrap quilt in a week since I already had most of the blocks made. (I sew squares together to be leaders and enders when chain piecing and after a while, I get a few blocks made that way.) Week Two’s top took a little longer so I’m thinking the Week 3 project (that I have not yet started and it’s already Thursday) will be something quicker.
Anyway, here’s the final product for Week 2. The blocks were made Log Cabin style by starting with a 4 1/2″ white square, adding a red strip to one side, adding a red strip to an adjacent side, adding an orange strip to the first side again, etc. Just a word of warning, count your strips when you finish the block. I went to sew a block in and wondered why it didn’t fit and only then did I realize it was missing a yellow row.
I didn’t quite get this one done within the week, but it’s close. My 5 year old is very much into rainbows right now so that’s the inspiration for this top and she’s a fan of this one. “I love your new quilt,” she said the other night as it started to come together on the design wall.
Summer of Scraps has begun! I was pushing a little on Sunday to get this one done by the end of the week, but voila! one scrap quilt done. There’s a larger blue version of this on my guest bed upstairs. To make these, I sew blocks of 2″ squares (2 1/2″ cut), put them up on the design wall and then figure out a dominant color. Apparently, I’ve used a lot of red lately because that was the color that jumped out at me this time and thus was the color I chose for the sashing.
So far, I am really enjoying having a new creative challenge. I’ve already got three more possible quilts in mind just because my wheels have been turning on scraps. Leave a comment and let me know what you think!
Summer is Here!Summer is here and I have started making my summer plans. My plans don’t really include champagne on the dock, though maybe they should. Instead, I am planning:
- Auction Hiatus – My eBay auctions haven’t been as successful as I had hoped so I’m putting that experiment on hold. I’m going to rethink how I’m selling my quilts and come up with something different to do in the fall.
- New Projects – I am wrapping up a commission and am soon going to be finished with my large Victims Quilt project so I’m turning to new things. But, it’s also summer and after a winter spent on some political works, I’m in the mood for something light. Stay tuned for more on that this week.
- New Focus – I’m doing some planning for a series of Creative Play workshops. More on that to come too.
Many of my UFOs for the American Patchwork & Quilting’s 2017 UFO Challenge have been stacking up because they’re ones that require a lot of work. March’s project was to quilt an entire quilt and I’m still working on that. April’s project was the same. But May’s project was an easy one to get done in one month because I only committed to making one block from a McKenna Ryan kit. Easy peasy and done!
My daughter and I took a fun workshop at Art Beat in Arlington, MA a few weekends ago with fairy whisperer Liza Gardner Walsh. We had such a blast, but I had some additional embellishment to do on my door so I am just now finishing it. All Fairies Welcome!