My guild’s quilt show is coming up!
It’s that time of year again…Rising Star Quilters Guild will deck St. Brigid’s Church in Lexington, MA with more than 130 quilts and quilted items on Friday, October 14 from 10 am to 7 pm and Saturday October 15 from 10 am to 5 pm.
This year members were challenged to interpret “The Elements: Earth, Air, Fire, and Water” and I will have a piece represented there. In addition to the bed, wall (“Ravaging Rio and The Ghost in the Library”), challenge quilts (“Running with Scissors”), and quilted objects on display, hand crafted items, including mine, will be available for sale in the Boutique; there will be scavenger hunts for quilters and for the general public; a café selling hot and cold drinks and cookies; basket and mini quilt raffles. Raffle tickets for this year’s raffle quilt “Rhapsody in Blue”, a geometric design that combines rich hues of blues and purples with an exciting “pop” of green accents, will be available at the show; the winning ticket will be drawn on Saturday but you do not need to be present to win. Rising Star Quilters Guild is proud to donate quilts to Germaine Lawrence in Arlington, REACH Beyond Domestic Violence and Welcome Baby, and to support the New England Quilt Museum in Lowell.
Admission to the show is $6, children 12 years old and under are admitted free. The building is handicap accessible and there is ample free parking in the church lot.
Visit the guild’s website for more details.
See you there!
I mentioned last month that a friend of mine has started a creative community called BirdZeed. Each month she sends out a word to use as inspiration for a piece of art work. This month’s word was “Symbol.” I chose to focus on the symbols for the 4 Elements (Fire, Air, Earth, Water) because that is the theme for my guild’s show this year. Here’s the result:
“Elemental Symbol”; BirdZeed project for August
I belong to a bee through the Rising Star Quilters Guild and we recently decided to give ourselves a challenge. We closed our eyes, drew a crayon from a large box, and were then to make a quilt inspired by that crayon. I have done this challenge twice now and I find it to be a great way to stretch a little because the Universe seems to hand you the color that you are least likely to use. In my case that color was “Shocking Pink,” the color of pink highlighters and many of the things my 4 year old daughter owns.
As I started thinking about Disgusting Pink, I mean “Shocking Pink,” I first thought of colorful, tropical beach houses and then thought about Warholian Pop Art. I thought next about a Pop Art topic that would be most relevant to quilting and the design for “Running with Scissors” began to form.
Running with Scissors, 24″ x 20″
I took a picture of a pair of scissors, printed it out and kept enlarging it until I got the scissors the size that I wanted. I then used the photo as a pattern for the fusible. Before fusing the scissors onto the background, I started to quit it. To make the quilt live up to its name, I started slicing the background quilt and then sewed it back together using large zigzag stitches. I then echoed the zigzag stitched pieces with straight quilting. As a last step, I fused the scissors in place and machine appliqued them with a smaller zigzag stitch in matching threads. It was a quick quilt to put together and one of the most fun mornings that I have spent in the studio in a while, all because I drew that blasted pink crayon.
I had an extremely productive weekend. I went to the Geneva Point Center on Lake Winnipesaukee for the Rising Star Quilters annual Spring Fling and three solid days of sewing. My first project of the weekend was to get caught up with The Quilt Show’s 2016 Block of the Month, a smaller replica version of the Rajah Quilt.
I had a false start with this project because I foolishly tried needle-turn applique for the center medallion. After tossing that one and starting again with fusible, machine-stitched applique, the project went more smoothly and by Friday night, I had January, February, and March’s blocks/ borders complete.
My other project was to churn out some Carpenter’s Square blocks to become the quilt in the master bedroom of the house we built in 2009. It’s so nice to be finally making quilts for my own bed!